11.16.2014

~86~ New Craft Room Redo

Now that we have a baby coming soon, Jake and I needed to move our office (now the nursery), and we decided to combine it with my craft room.  To do so, we got rid of our giant entertainment stand and rearranged things that allowed for a configuration that flowed and still allowed for us to use the futon as a guest bed if needed.
This change also gave me the reason I needed to revamp my craft table.  Ever since moving, my craft table that I built with Jake a couple of years ago has been on the fritz.  The top section had completely detached from the bottom and was no longer secured to the table top.  I had admired this table design by Ana White for over a year and I'm excited to say, I finally made my version of it!

My design isn't nearly as fancy and large as hers, but the functionality is the same.  Although Ana White provides great step-by-step plans complete with a materials and cut list, I decided to keep the design the same and customize the measurements fit my specific wants and needs.  


The guy at Home Depot probably cursed my name for many hours after I left, but I am very grateful (as is Jake) that he was willing to make all of the cuts for me! For the 2 legs, I bought one 4'x8'x1/2" and one 2'x4'x1/4" MDF board.   The 1/2" thick board was for the frame of each leg.  The 1/4" thick board was use from the shelving pieces that would hold each bin. For the top of the table, I repurposed my old top instead of buying a new one. 


Putting it together was a little more difficult than I had thought it would be.  The main issue was that the MDF would split from the screws because it's just not thick enough.  Pre-drilling the holes definitely helped, but we still ran into some splitting.  Regardless, my new table was born and I LOVE it!  

Each leg was redesigned so that I could access my most used bins from the front while seated at my table instead of having to reach around to side as I previously had to.  The interior parts were painted in pink and the exterior parts were painted white.  The entire table was then coated in Martha Stewart glitter paint that I found on clearance at Home Depot. 
  


In addition to the new table, I added some wall shelving behind it to house my stamps, markers, DVDs, and display my dried wedding bouquet that I just didn't have the heart to throw away.







With the new arrangement of the room I also needed find a new home for my Korean doll collection.  To free up space we got wall mounted shelves so that I could still proudly display them.


I now love spending time in my craft room even  more than I did before.  The updated table provided much needed extra functionality - plus, it looks prettier too!

Now that the craft room/office combo is complete, we can focus our time and attention on getting the nursery ready!

Until then, 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...