~101~34 weeks=Baby Time?!?

Believe it or not, our little man has arrived!!
Introducing: Ethan Michael

After wrapping up spring conferences on Thursday and heading home, I knew something wasn't quite right.  I'd been having some sporatic contractions during the day and the previous night, but that evening, they were "longer, stronger, and closer together" to quote our prenatal instructor.  I had already seen and talked to my OB about them twice that week and after a check showed that I wasn't dilated, they chalked it up to braxton hick's contractions.  After 2 hours of intensely painful contractions, I made another call into my OB who advised that I drink some water and try to sleep.  I was told that if I couldn't sleep through them I should come in.

At 12:45, after an hour of trying to fall asleep only to writhe in pain just as I started to nod off, I told Jake we needed to go on.  We quickly packed bags and jumped in the car.  At this point, my contractions were so unbearable that I rode in the front seat fully reclined, leaning over the back of it. I probably freaked Jake out a bit because every time a contraction came (approximately every 3 min), I loudly moaned and screamed in pain.

As soon as we arrived at the hospital (around 1:20), the desk attendant called up to labor and delivery and before you can say "epidural", a team of 5 nurses came running out of the elevator and whisked me upstairs.  They quickly got me into a bed and discovered that I was dilated 9cm! I was floored and shocked.  There was no turning back at this point.  Our little guy was coming tonight whether we were ready or not.  Fortunately, because my water hadn't broken yet and baby wasn't in distress, they weren't in a hurry to deliver him and I was offered an epidural.  Thank goodness!  It was almost instant relief, and the best thing I could have asked for.  The anesthesiologist made a point give a low dose so that I was able to still feel my contractions, but not the pain associated with them.  By 3:30, I was at 10cm and ready to push.

Just over an hour later, at 4:32am, our sweet, beautiful son entered the world and cried his first cry! I remember holding my breath as the doctor suctioned his mouth, waiting to hear that cry.  And cry he did.  It was the most amazing, perfect sound I've ever heard.

Due to how early in the pregnancy I was (34 weeks, 2 days), Ethan is considered a late-term preemie.  Therefore, after a quick hello and kiss on the forehead, he was brought up to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for evaluation.  Jake followed with him while I waited in the delivery room.  Unfortunately, I was not allowed to go up and see him until 2 1/2 hours later.  I decided to use this time to notify our family and friends of Ethan's arrival.  Jake came back down a little while later.  Ethan weighed 5lbs,4oz and was 18.25in. long.

FINALLY, I was taken up to the NICU where I was able to see Ethan and hold his hand before being brought down to the recovery room.  At this point, Jake and I had both been awake for 26 consecutive hours and could barely see straight.  He decided to go home to sleep and let the dogs out.  I laid down in our recovery and attempted to fall asleep.  That lasted all of an hour and a half.  After changing out of my hospital gown and refreshing my face, I headed up to the NICU to finally hold my son.  His tiny body had leads connected to his chest monitoring his heart rate and breathing.  He also had an IV in his hand to deliver antibiotics and fluids (glucose).

That day, both sets of grandparents came to visit Ethan for the first time and shower him with hugs and kisses. He is one lucky kiddo :)  We also met with the neonatologist who first assessed him and learned that while there were a few things we needed to monitor, he was doing great.  He was breathing fine on his own without oxygen, had good color, and good muscle tone.  We were so relieved and so in love!

And so began our journey as parents and our lives as a family of 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...