4.30.2015

~104~Ethan Update: 1month+


I have no idea where the time has gone, but I know it's been a while since I last updated.  
It's hard to believe that Ethan will already 8 weeks old on Friday!

We've been out of the NICU for a little over a month and boy does it feel good! Ethan is doing fantastic and has turned into a great eater and sleeper.  Right now, he's only waking up once, sometimes twice in the middle of the night and going about 4 hours in between feedings.  While I long to have just 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep (I don't even know what that would feel like any more), I am doing surprisingly well with getting a lot less than I did pre-Ethan.  Check back with me after I'm back at work and see if I'm still singing that tune. 

Since coming home, Ethan has had lots of visitors.  My parents came to visit for a few days when we were discharged from the hospital, followed by my best friend, Lauren who also helped me celebrate my 30th (!!) birthday.  Local family and friends have also come over to meet the little guy and graciously brought us dinner as well.  Over Easter weekend, my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew, as well as my grandma came to meet Ethan.  It was a wonderful weekend and one I will remember forever.  We are so lucky to have so many people in our lives who love our little boy as much as we do!
Ethan's 1 month appointment was the following Tuesday.  We really like his pediatrician.  She seemed surprised that he was in the NICU for so long given that he wasn't on oxygen, IV fluids, or having difficulty with the mechanics of eating (sucking, swallowing, breathing).  We were happy to hear that he looked so good considering how early he was, but felt a little perturbed (is that the right word?) that we had to be there for so long when there wasn't a glaring reason for it.  Regardless, we're just happy to be home-healthy and happy!

Ethan's 1 Month Stats
Weight: 6lbs 13oz
Length: 20.25inches
Eating Habits: When you left the hospital, it was 60ml (roughly 2oz) and the pediatrician gave us the go-ahead to up it to 75 (roughly 2.5oz). You tend to eat every 3 hours since that was the schedule you were rigidly set on in the NICU, but you're slowly starting to create you own.  2 nights in a row you ended up going 4 hours in between (we both slept through the 3 hour mark) and the Dr. gave us the okay to stop waking you up to eat!
Activities: You like to lift your head and look at whomever is holding you when laying on their chest.  Everyone has marveled at how strong you are and your ability to hold your head up.  You're still sleeping most of the day, with a few moments of awakeness here or there.  Grandpa Hockenberry jokes that he doesn't think you have eyes because he has yet to see them. 
Favorite Things: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and all of the snacks in between; Laying on mom or dad's chest. 
Least Favorite things: Diaper changes-oh the horror! And bath-time. 

One thing that I do want to note here is that it's difficult to know when exactly Ethan will do all of the things typical babies do at certain age-markers given his premature status.  Even though his actual age is 1 month, it is still almost 2 weeks before my original due date.  So align with this, doctors will take into consideration what they call his corrected, or adjusted age, which right now is 38weeks, 5days gestationally.  This means that for milestones that most babies reach around 1 month old, Ethan  wouldn't be expected to reach them until he's around or even a little more than 2 months old.  However, by the time he reaches 1-2 years old, he should be caught up in his developments with babies who were born full-term. 

Until next "month" (which will really be next week, since I'm posting this so late), I leave you with this.  Seriously, how can you not fall in love with this smile?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...